I had a conversation with my mother today on Skype, and she asked me why I believe in science as opposed to religion. Basically, she asked me why I choose atheism. See below for my five-part reply.
- Incredibly Low Probability. There are literally thousands upon thousands of religions out there. Who’s to say one of them has the story right, and that all the others are wrong? That just sounds arrogant to me. Well, it does!
- The Big, the Bad and the Worse. If there is a god, I dearly hope it is not the wild, malevolent, bloodthirsty, vain and vindictive one in the Old Testament, or for that matter, the New Testament. (See image above)
- Prove It! In our everyday lives, we would never believe a doctor, a lawyer, a salesman, etc. on faith alone. Why should I believe – on faith alone – that the entirety of existence was designed and handcrafted by a male sky-spirit who presents us with his ancient book unchanged for centuries (no, not millenia!), but with no remotely-credible means of verifying its claims?
- I am The Fifth Ape. So are you. We’re all closely related to the African apes genetically, separated from our original heritage just fifty or sixty thousand years ago. I take an immense amount of pride in knowing that every creature on this planet has a place on my family tree. Evolution is real. It works. Even today.
“Science works. Planes fly; magic carpets and broomsticks don’t.” -Richard Dawkins in his 2006 documentary, The God Delusion
- We’re all stardust. The Big Bang theory works, too, and it makes a heck of a lot more sense to me, and to millions of other atheists around the globe, than any religious creation story that has ever been created… by a human being. In other words… all of them.
Not to mention, Wendy Wright, Ken Ham and Ted Haggard are three of the biggest smug, two-faced hypocrites I’ve ever had the misfortune to find on YouTube. I can’t even listen to them talk without tensing up in exasperation.
There, I said it.
Okay, I’m done venting. You may now proceed to comment on this post, but please, please! Refrain from tossing out personal verbal attacks or threats at me or at atheists in general.
Thank you for reading. Have a great day, and one based securely in reality.